- 2 slices soft whole wheat sandwich bread*, torn into bits
- 1 1/2 cup small cauliflower florets and chopped peeled stems
- 1 1/2 cup small broccoli florets and chopped peeled stems
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg*
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place bread in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup water and let soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot filled two-thirds with water to a boil.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli and return to a boil, then boil for 1 minute.
- Immediately drain and cool vegetables under cold running water. Drain well.
- Wrap vegetables in a kitchen towel or paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Combine vegetables, egg and salt in a food processor.
- Squeeze bread very well to remove excess liquid and add to the processor.
- Pulse just until chopped but not puréed.
- Scoop vegetable mixture by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Dampen your fingers to prevent them from sticking and form mixture into tot-shaped cylinders.
- Bake until browned and firm, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
*If you prefer a wheat-free, gluten-free version of these tots you can replace the bread and water with 1 cup mashed potato−that’s about the amount you’ll get from a peeled and boiled 10-ounce Russet potato.
*To replace egg with a flax substitute, combine 1 tablespoon flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water in a spice grinder and grind until thick and smooth. Let sit for 5 minutes before using. Baked tots will be a little softer inside than ones made with regular egg but will still be very tasty.