Greek Braised Chicken
Recipe provided by Rose Archer, Chef and Founder of True You Food
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 14 oz. bag frozen pearl onions – defrosted
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 1 can tomatoes – whole, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 lemon – sliced whole, thin
- 1/2 c. kalamata olives
- 1/2 c. oregano leaves
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. parsley leaves – rough chopped
- Crumbled feta for serving (optional)
- Preheat your over to 350°F.
- Heat a large pan over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the chicken thighs to the dry pan, with no oil.
- Sear until golden brown on both sides.
- Place seared thighs on a plate. Pour off excess fat. Re-heat the same pan.
- Place the defrosted onion on a paper towel and dry the onions.
- Add them to the hot pan to caramelize.
- Add the garlic just until cooked.
- Remove the onions, turn off the heat, and deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Place the thighs in the bottom of a dutch over.
- Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives and lemon slices.
- Sprinkle the oregano leaves around the pot.
- Add the white wine and garlic from the pan, the broth, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Cover the pot and braise in the oven for two hours.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle parsley over the dish.
- The chicken will be tender and should be easily pulled off the bone.
- Serve with broth and veggies over a whole grain like quinoa.
- If using the feta, sprinkle over the bowls before serving.