- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 8 ounces dry fusilli pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- pinch black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add broccoli, return to a boil and cook, uncovered, until al dente, about 4 minutes.
- Remove broccoli with a slotted spoon, leaving the water in the pot.
- Add pasta and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook gently for about a minute.
- Whisk in milk, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring milk mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat, and cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in about two thirds of the cheese until it has melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- In 2-quart oven-proof dish, combine pasta with about 2/3 of the cheese sauce.
- Add broccoli to the remaining cheese sauce in the saucepan.
- Place the broccoli around the edge of the dish, topping the pasta.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and broil until cheese begins to bubble, about 3 minutes.
Per Serving (Serves 6): 400 calories (180 from fat), 20 g total fat, 12 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrates, (3 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar), 19 g protein.