- 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple rings, juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Green or red leaf lettuce
- Using a small spoon, delicately scoop out and discard the dark brown gills from the underside of each mushroom.
- Wipe mushrooms gently with a moist paper towel to remove any remaining debris then transfer to a wide, shallow baking dish along with the pineapple rings.
- Put 3/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice (save remaining for another use), soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil into a small bowl and whisk together to make a marinade.
- Pour marinade over mushrooms and pineapple, cover and set aside, turning occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat cooking.
- Meanwhile, remove mushrooms and pineapple from marinade and set aside.
- Transfer marinade to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup water and cornstarch then whisk into marinade and boil until thickened, about 1 minute more; set aside.
- Working in batches, grill mushrooms and pineapple, gently flipping once, until hot throughout and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to buns, top with lettuce and serve with teriyaki sauce on the side, if you prefer.
Per Serving (Serves 4): Serving size: 1 burger with bun, 360 calories (80 from fat), 9 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 990 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrates, (6 g dietary fiber, 38 g sugar), 8 g protein.