- 4 pounds short ribs, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces by your butcher, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apricot fruit spread
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely diced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Sprinkle ribs with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ribs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, fruit spread, tomato paste, vinegar, ginger, garlic, five spice powder and 2 tablespoons water.
- Pour mixture over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low until ribs are very tender, about 8 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a platter with tongs and cover with foil (you can serve them with or without the bones).
- Pour liquid in bottom of slow cooker into a glass measuring cup and let sit until fat rises to the top, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon off and discard fat and pour liquid over ribs.
- Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds and serve.
Per Serving (Serves 4): 870 calories (440 from fat), 49 g total fat, 20 g saturated fat, 270 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, (1 g dietary fiber, 7 g sugar), 89 g protein.